This list comes from this years final 10 words in the Scripps Spelling Bee. My favorite?? Perscii. I’ve always wanted to visit the Polar Circles. I also really liked Sorites—several premises yet one conclusion to an argument; that’s very, very cool.
1. Cymotrichous – having wavy hair.
2. Periscii -those who live within a polar circle, whose shadows, during some summer days, will move entirely round, falling toward every point of the compass.
3. Sorites – a form of argument having several premises and one conclusion, capable of being resolved into a chain of syllogisms, the conclusion of each of which is a premise of the next.
4. Orgeat – a syrup or drink made originally from barley but later from almonds, prepared with sugar and an extract of orange flowers.
5. Hooroosh – confusion; a wild, hurried or excited state. It was used in Moby Dick: “What a hooroosh aloft there!”
6. Naumkeag – a tribe of Native American people that once lived in northeastern Massachusetts.
7. Galoubet – a type of pipe (instrument).
8. Jugendstil – art nouveau as practiced in German-speaking countries.
9. Panguingue – a card game of the rummy family that is played with from five to eight regular 52-card packs from which the eights, nines, and tens have been removed, the object being to win bonuses by melding certain groups of cards during the play and extra bonuses by melding all the cards in the hand.
10. Lekane – covered pottery vessel in the form of a tureen, with two handles, sometimes used as a basket or box.