This year, I am reading the scriptures daily using a Bible Reading plan that utilizes the ESV Literary Study Bible. I chose that plan because I want to get an overall feel for Scriptures both as microcosms of truth as well as an overall Biblical Genre composed of several different genres in itself.
As a result, I really like the following suggestions that were posted at Desiring God Blog.
Erik Kowalker recently compiled a list of tips straight from Ryle’s book Practical Religion. Here are eight profitable ways to read the Bible:
- Begin reading your Bible this very day.
- Read the Bible with an earnest desire to understand it.
- Read the Bible with child-like faith and humility.
- Read the Bible in a spirit of obedience and self-application.
- Read the Bible daily.
- Read all of the Bible — and read it in an orderly way.
- Read the Bible fairly and honestly.
- Read the Bible with Christ continually in view.
Isn’t Number 7 interesting……to read the Bible fairly and honestly? I find that to be quite a challenge, actually, and hope to keep that suggestion in mind as I work on my Bible Reading plan for this year.